What is the latest update in the case?Last updated: March 24, 2020 at 18:10 pm
The case was filed in February 2018. The case is pending in the United States District Court for the Central District of California. The court certified the case as a class action on August 24, 2018. After the Supreme Court issued the Parker Drilling Management Services, Ltd. v. Newton decision, the District Court dismissed this case. The plaintiffs then appealed the dismissal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. No hearing date is set before the Ninth Circuit, though plaintiffs have filed their opening brief.
What is the case about?
Plaintiffs worked for Secorp as an hourly employee on oil platforms off the coast of California. They performed EMT and dispatcher duties. They allege that Secorp violated California and federal law in the following ways:
- By not considering all the time Plaintiffs spent on call on the platforms to be compensable;
- By not providing Plaintiffs with timely meal or rest periods;
- By not factoring the value of free meals and lodging provided to Plaintiffs into their overtime rates of pay;
- By not providing Plaintiffs with accurate paycheck stubs; and
- By not compensating Plaintiffs with their final wages pursuant to the deadlines established by California law (i.e., immediately upon termination or within 72 hours of resignation).
The Plaintiffs seek damages, penalties, and restitution, as well as interest, attorneys’ fees, and costs. They seek to represent a class of all similarly situated employees of Secorp.
Where is the case pending?
The case is pending in the United States District Court for the Central District of California as Case No. 2:18-cv-02890-RGK-GJS. The case is assigned to the Honorable R. Gary Klausner.
Who does this case involve?
The certified class is defined as “All hourly and otherwise non-exempt employees of Defendants, who, at any time within four year from the date of filing of this lawsuit, worked on oil platforms off of the California coast for periods of 24 hours or more.”
The class period is February 9, 2015 to the present.
I think I am a class member. What should I do?
Please contact Strauss & Strauss directly for more information. Call us at (805) 641-6601.